Should I File With the EEOC Before Consulting an Attorney?

Has your employer discriminated against you? Are you considering filing a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) but want to speak with an attorney first? If so, you’re making the right choice.

At The Leach Firm, we support employees and enforce foster safe work environments around Florida and Georgia. Handling workplace discrimination and an EEOC case on your own can be challenging, so we want to help advise you through the process.

What Are EEOC Complaints?

You may file an EEOC complaint if your employer harassed you or discriminated against you because of your:

  • Race
  • Age
  • Gender
  • Religion
  • Color
  • Pregnancy
  • Nationality
  • Disability

You can submit a complaint about general harassment or discrimination that may have led to wrongful termination, unequal pay, unpaid wages, unfair schedules, or other inequalities.

Should I File an Employee Harassment Complaint With the EEOC Before Consulting With an Attorney?

No. You should consult with one of our attorneys before filing your complaint.

When your employer hears about the complaint, they will likely notify their legal team to begin disputing all of your claims. You need to have strong evidence that your employer’s legal team cannot disprove. By hiring an attorney first, you can enter the battlefield with an iron-clad case, legal protection, and protected rights. 

Will My Employer Fire Me for Filing Against Them?

Your employer cannot fire you for filing an EEOC complaint. You may continue working at your current position while going through the process. In the case of wrongful termination, a successful case might reinstate your previous job title.

Finding Another Job After Filing a Complaint

No one should have to deal with discrimination or harassment at work. You may not want to return to your old employer, and that’s OK.

After filing an EEOC complaint, you should not face any trouble finding another job. If you were fired on discriminatory grounds, filing a complaint might even improve your chances of getting a new job since potential employers will understand that you did not lose the previous position for being an inadequate employee.

Determining How Much Your Case Is Worth

If you can prove that your employer harassed you, you can seek:

  • Job reinstatement
  • Back pay for your unemployment period
  • Harassment prevention methods in the workplace

Our team might advise you to file with EEOC or pursue a lawsuit, depending on your scenario. We will walk you through each step of the process and help you file all necessary legal paperwork.

The Ideal Timeline for Hiring an Attorney and Filing

Ideally, you should hire an attorney immediately after the harassment or discriminatory events. For example, if your employer wrongfully terminated you, you should contact our firm right away.

After you secure legal representation, our attorney can help you complete all necessary legal actions within the required timeframes.

Let Our Team at The Leach Firm Speak for You!

If an employer harassed you or wrongfully terminated you for discriminatory reasons, let us at The Leach Firm speak for you. Be sure to contact us before filing your EEOC complaint.

With The Leach Firm, you’re never alone. If you work or live in Georgia or Florida, call us today at (844) 722-7567 to speak with a member of our team. We have offices in Atlanta, GA, and Winter Park, FL.