Pregnancy Discrimination Lawyer in Pine Hills, FL
An employer shouldn’t discriminate against employees on the basis of pregnancy. If you’ve experienced workplace discrimination, then contact a pregnancy discrimination lawyer in Pine Hills, FL.
At The Leach Firm, P.A., we help Floridians navigate the complex process of filing a discrimination claim. We can evaluate your case; call 844-722-7567 or contact us online to learn more.
Examples of Pregnancy Discrimination
Pregnancy discrimination involves the unfair treatment of a female employee or another individual because of a pregnancy. Examples of pregnancy discrimination include:
- Failing to provide reasonable accommodations to you as a pregnant employee
- Refusing to hire you because you’re pregnant, even if you’re qualified for the job
- Refusing to promote you or forcing you to change jobs due to your pregnancy
- Firing you or forcing you on medical leave
- Harassing you because of your pregnancy
Florida Laws to Protect Pregnant Women in the Workplace
If you are pregnant, several state and federal laws protect you from workplace discrimination:
- The Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978 states that pregnant individuals have a right to fair treatment. An employer cannot fire you, refuse promotions, or refuse to hire you based on pregnancy or a medical condition caused by it. In addition, this law prohibits harassment in the workplace.
- The Family Medical Leave Act of 1993 entitles you to 12 weeks of maternity leave. Your employer cannot prevent you from taking this leave or fire you for doing so.
- The Fair Labor Standards Act states that nursing parents have the right to have a breast pump. Employers must provide reasonable space and accommodations if you request them.
Failure to abide by these laws is grounds for a discrimination case. Contact our pregnancy discrimination lawyers in Pine Hills, FL, for assistance. Our attorneys can evaluate your case and determine how you can move forward.
How to File a Pregnancy Discrimination Case in Florida
There are two organizations you can file your case with:
- The Florida Commission on Human Rights (FCHR), which assists employees from smaller companies.
- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), which assists employees from larger companies.
Generally, you should consider filing with both since it can help your case go more smoothly.
If you believe you have a discrimination case, then it’s important to move quickly. You have a limited amount of time to file; if you file with the FCHR, you have one year after the discrimination incident, and if you file with the EEOC, you have 180 days.
Once you’ve filed your case, your organization of choice will review the details. If they believe you have a solid case, then you can file a lawsuit. You’ll generally want to file within 90 days of approval.
Consider contacting a lawyer from our team before you file. Your attorney provides advice, assists with your case, and otherwise represents you.
Contact an Experienced Pregnancy Discrimination Lawyer in Florida
If you’re facing workplace discrimination, then partner with a qualified pregnancy discrimination lawyer in Pine Hills, FL. At The Leach Firm, P.A., we have years of experience assisting clients with discrimination cases. Call 844-722-7567 or contact us online in order to request a consultation.