Breaking Down FMLA Qualifying Reasons: A Guide for Employees in Florida and Georgia

Want to Speak with an Employment Lawyer?
  • Can I be fired for filing a case against my employer?
  • If I file a claim, will I have trouble getting another job?
  • Should I file with EEOC before consulting an attorney?
  • How much is my case worth?
  • How long do I have to file a claim?
  • Why should I get an attorney?

As working individuals, we all encounter moments when personal or family health issues might interfere with our employment. That's where the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) comes in. Enacted to support workers in Florida, Georgia, and throughout the U.S., the FMLA provides eligible employees with unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons. But understanding the specific qualifying reasons for FMLA can be complex. That's where we at The Leach Firm, P.A. can step in, utilizing our years of experience in employment law to guide you through these intricacies. But what exactly are these FMLA qualifying reasons? Let's dive in.

1. Personal Medical Leave

An employee's serious health condition that makes them unable to perform their job is one of the most common reasons for taking FMLA leave. This can include conditions like cancer, chronic conditions requiring ongoing treatment, or acute conditions that require hospitalization.

2. Caring for Family Members

FMLA leave isn't just for your personal health; it's also for when your loved ones need you. If your spouse, child, or parent has a serious health condition, you are entitled to take FMLA leave to provide care. Remember, serious health conditions include both physical and mental conditions.

3. Maternity and Paternity Leave

The joyous arrival of a new child in your family is an FMLA qualifying reason. You can take FMLA leave for the birth of a child and to care for the newborn. This applies to both biological parents and those who become parents through adoption or foster care.

4. Military Family Leave

The FMLA acknowledges the unique circumstances faced by military families. If you're the spouse, child, or parent of a military servicemember undergoing a serious health issue or injury related to their service, you can take FMLA leave. In addition, if your loved one is on active duty or has an impending call to active duty status in support of a contingency operation, you can take leave for "qualifying exigencies."

5. Leave for Emerging Health Issues

Another qualifying reason under FMLA is to attend to emerging health issues. This can include ongoing medical treatment, recuperation from serious health conditions, or even arrangements for medical treatments.

Knowing these FMLA qualifying reasons helps you understand your rights better. But, there might be situations where understanding these reasons isn't enough, and you may face difficulties at your workplace. This is when you need a trusted partner to guide you.

Why You Might Need a Lawyer to Navigate FMLA Qualifying Reasons

Understanding FMLA qualifying reasons might seem straightforward on the surface. However, complexities often arise when determining if an employee's situation fits within these specified reasons. In addition, employers may sometimes deny FMLA leave, incorrectly claiming that an employee's condition doesn't meet the "serious health condition" standard or misinterpreting other aspects of the FMLA.

That's where a lawyer can be incredibly helpful. A lawyer knowledgeable in employment law can provide valuable insights into whether your situation qualifies for FMLA leave and can guide you through the process of applying for leave. They can also help protect your rights if your employer denies your valid FMLA request.

The Leach Firm, P.A.: Your Partner in FMLA

With The Leach Firm, P.A., you gain more than just legal counsel; you get a partner who cares about your rights as an employee. We have years of experience dealing with FMLA-related cases. We understand the intricacies of the Act and are proficient in explaining the complexities in simple, jargon-free language, making the process more approachable and less overwhelming.

Moreover, we are experienced in handling cases where employers have unjustly denied FMLA leave or retaliated against employees for exercising their rights under the FMLA. Our team is committed to ensuring that our clients receive the treatment they deserve.

Contact the Leach Firm, P.A.

At The Leach Firm, P.A., we have served the people of Florida and Georgia since 2004 in fights against workplace discrimination, personal injury, and worker’s compensation cases. We strive to help our clients receive the treatment they deserve for their years of experience. Call us at The Leach Firm at 844-722-7567 or contact us online to get a free case evaluation with a lawyer proficient in FMLA issues in Florida or Georgia.

Contact Us

    How Much Is Your Employment Case Worth?
    Find Out in 1 Minute.

    Overtime Calculation
    Did you get any pay for your overtime hours worked?

    Why am I being paid less than minimum wage?

    For the most part, workers must be paid a wage that complies with both federal and Florida minimum wage standards. However, there are some job exceptions to the minimum wage requirement, including:

    • Independent contractors
    • Tipped employees (e.g., restaurant servers)
    • Young workers
    • Student workers
    • Farm workers

    Unless an employee falls under an exception, they must receive minimum wage.

    What are the laws concerning employees who receive tips?

    Under the law, tipped employees may receive less than minimum wage so long as they receive enough tips to make up the difference.

    • Tip credits: Tip credits allow employers to "credit" the employees' tips toward satisfying the minimum wage requirements. However, when an employee is performing non-tipped tasks unrelated to tipped duties, the employer may not claim a tip credit for those hours.

    • Tip Pooling: Employers are allowed to pool employees' tips and share them among all employees. By law, employers are not permitted to keep any portion of the gratuity from the tip pool.

    What can I do if my employer is breaking the overtime or minimum wage laws?

    If your employer is violating federal or state wage laws, you can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor or file a lawsuit to seek compensation. Employees usually find it helpful to work with a dedicated wage attorney who can protect their rights and help take advantage of all available remedies.

    Recover Your Lost Wages with the Help of a Skilled Florida and Georgia Employment Law Attorney

    When your employer has treated you unfairly, either through wage theft, unlawful discrimination, or other practices, you can count on the experienced attorneys at The Leach Firm, P.A. to fight for your rights. Contact us to schedule a free comprehensive consultation in English or Spanish.