Proving Retaliation in the Workplace

Want to Speak with an Employment Lawyer?
  • Can I be fired for filing a case against my employer?
  • If I file a claim, will I have trouble getting another job?
  • Should I file with EEOC before consulting an attorney?
  • How much is my case worth?
  • How long do I have to file a claim?
  • Why should I get an attorney?

Workplace retaliation is unfortunately a common occurrence throughout Georgia and Florida. Simply put, retaliation occurs when an employer takes an adverse action against an employee who has engaged in a legally protected activity. This might mean filing a complaint of discrimination, participating in a discrimination investigation, or refusing to participate in illegal activities. Retaliation can manifest in many ways, such as demotions, reductions in pay, and even wrongful terminations. At The Leach Firm, P.A., we strongly believe that employees should never be punished for standing up for their rights.

Identifying Signs of Retaliation

Recognizing retaliation in the workplace can be challenging, as it often manifests in subtle forms. Typically, it follows a complaint or whistleblowing incident. You might find that after reporting an issue, your working conditions suddenly worsen. This could include unfair shift changes, exclusion from meetings, increased scrutiny, or receiving more difficult assignments without justification. Keep in mind that retaliation is not always blatant and could require a careful examination of changes in your workplace dynamics.

Gathering Evidence to Prove Retaliation

In retaliation cases, evidence is paramount. Your first step is to demonstrate that you've engaged in a protected activity. This could mean filing a discrimination complaint, reporting illegal conduct, or participating in an investigation. Following your engagement in a protected activity, it's crucial to show that you experienced an adverse action. This could range from sudden demotions, termination, a hostile work environment, to changes in job assignments that are unjustified. Now, proving a connection between your protected activity and the adverse action can be challenging. However, in many cases, timing can be indicative of a retaliation claim, especially if the adverse action follows closely on the heels of your protected activity.

As for evidence, emails discussing your complaints or reporting illegal activities can serve as strong supporting documentation. Witness statements from colleagues who observed the change in your treatment at work can also be very valuable. Moreover, maintaining a personal record of incidents, including dates, times, people involved, and the nature of the retaliation can greatly contribute to your case.

This is where The Leach Firm, P.A. steps in. We assist you in identifying potential evidence, examining its relevance, and building a strong case. Our role doesn't stop at the gathering of evidence. We navigate you through the intricate legal system, ensuring you understand every stage of the process. We're here to help you file official complaints, negotiate settlements, and even take your case to court if necessary.

At The Leach Firm, P.A., we understand that taking a stand against workplace retaliation is daunting. We strive to ease your burden, lending our expertise, and providing you with the support you need. Your fight against workplace retaliation becomes our fight, too.

Securing Your Rights in the Workplace with The Leach Firm, P.A.

At The Leach Firm, P.A., we have served the people of Florida and Georgia since 2004, fighting against workplace discrimination, personal injury, and worker’s compensation cases. We fight aggressively against retaliation by employers and aim to help our clients receive the fair treatment they deserve. If you believe you have been subjected to workplace retaliation, don't hesitate to contact us. Call The Leach Firm at 844-722-7567 or contact us online to get a free case evaluation with a retaliation lawyer in Florida or Georgia. Your fight against workplace retaliation is our fight too.

Contact Us

    How Much Is Your Employment Case Worth?
    Find Out in 1 Minute.

    Overtime Calculation
    Did you get any pay for your overtime hours worked?

    Why am I being paid less than minimum wage?

    For the most part, workers must be paid a wage that complies with both federal and Florida minimum wage standards. However, there are some job exceptions to the minimum wage requirement, including:

    • Independent contractors
    • Tipped employees (e.g., restaurant servers)
    • Young workers
    • Student workers
    • Farm workers

    Unless an employee falls under an exception, they must receive minimum wage.

    What are the laws concerning employees who receive tips?

    Under the law, tipped employees may receive less than minimum wage so long as they receive enough tips to make up the difference.

    • Tip credits: Tip credits allow employers to "credit" the employees' tips toward satisfying the minimum wage requirements. However, when an employee is performing non-tipped tasks unrelated to tipped duties, the employer may not claim a tip credit for those hours.

    • Tip Pooling: Employers are allowed to pool employees' tips and share them among all employees. By law, employers are not permitted to keep any portion of the gratuity from the tip pool.

    What can I do if my employer is breaking the overtime or minimum wage laws?

    If your employer is violating federal or state wage laws, you can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor or file a lawsuit to seek compensation. Employees usually find it helpful to work with a dedicated wage attorney who can protect their rights and help take advantage of all available remedies.

    Recover Your Lost Wages with the Help of a Skilled Florida and Georgia Employment Law Attorney

    When your employer has treated you unfairly, either through wage theft, unlawful discrimination, or other practices, you can count on the experienced attorneys at The Leach Firm, P.A. to fight for your rights. Contact us to schedule a free comprehensive consultation in English or Spanish.